Thursday, February 17, 2011

Can a stroke lead to Nirvana?



On the morning of December 10 a blood vessel exploded in the left half of Harvard neuroscientist Jill Bolte Taylor's brain. She describes feeling as though she was observing herself in motion, as in the playback of a memory. Sounds as quiet and unobtrusive as the flowing bath water became deafening. Her hemorrhaging accelerated and she lost coordination as well as the ability to speak and understand language. As her sensory perception began to fade Jill recalls peaceful silence and enlightenment.

"I was aware that I could no longer clearly discern the physical boundaries of where I began and where I ended. I sensed the composition of my being as that of a fluid rather than that of a solid. I no longer perceived myself as a whole object separate from everything. Instead, I now blended in with the space and flow around me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments. Also if you have an awesome story feel free to send it my way!