Monday, April 4, 2011

BIGGER THAN Life BETTER THAN Your Average Sculpture

Ron Mueck is a hyperrealist sculptor. While messing around with scale Mueck manages to achieve a disturbing level of realism with each work. For me, though I completely love his work, videos of his gallery showings make me feel like I’m witnessing a mass wake. Between the eerie clammy sheen of the skin surfaces and the unshakeable feeling that the figures are just in a shallow sleep ready to spring to life with one too loud creak of a floorboard, I’m on edge. Could you imagine those eyes, the size of your fist, snapping open upon your approach? It would surely scare the soul out of me.

Still, I want to live in his studio for a week. Ron Mueck, if you’re reading this…call me. I want to watch you move.









4 comments:

  1. I am in awe of the sculptures... frighteningly realistic! Not entirely sure about the idea of living amongst them for a week though, pretty sure some nightmares would come out of that..

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sculptures are incredible! I've truly never seen anything like them.

    -Claire
    http://inchairblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't decide if those are creepy or just incredibly gigantically real!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! In that video, it almost looks like the sculpture is breathing. This artist is amazing. (My favorite is the one where he is putting the curler in the hair).

    xxxx
    www.brittanyhavican.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. Also if you have an awesome story feel free to send it my way!