Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wasteland

Ahh it's good to be back. My backlog of incredible stories has been begging for a show and tell over the week I've been away. I'll let the stories trickle out over the next few days to ensure an awesome week of posting. Without further ado..."From the world's largest trash dump comes an astonishingly true story of a renowned New York artist and a group of scavengers."

Wasteland documents Vik Muniz's two year journey into the steamy sticky heart of the world's largest trash dump, Rio de Janeiro's Jardim Gramacho landfill. In an effort to increase awareness of the landfill community's deplorable living conditions Vik Muniz began photographing individuals that live off recyclable trash found in the landfill. "For the half dozen featured in Wasteland, Muniz transforms their lives by pulling them into the artistic process, hiring them to help create swimming pool-sized portraits out of actual pieces of garbage."

The resulting artwork was auctioned off and the proceeds were reinvested into the community.


I spy with my little eye...

1 comment:

Thanks so much for your comments. Also if you have an awesome story feel free to send it my way!